Forgiveness – for·give·ness /ˌfərˈɡivnəs/ the act of no longer feeling anger or resentment towards someone (or yourself).
While we all know the concept of forgiveness, but it can be extremely difficult to really understand it, never mind put it into practice. There are so many layers to it, and many times we make an effort to forgive someone, but then as soon as one bad memory comes up, the anger, hurt and resentment all come racing back, throwing forgiveness right out of the window.
Wasn’t life so much simpler as a child? One ‘sorry’ held the key to fixing everything that was wrong in our world. But we are adults now and that isn’t how it works. However, before you are too hard on yourself, did you know that forgiveness is actually a learned skill? We are not born into the world knowing how to do it automatically, it takes time for all of those negative feelings to process, and that is OK!
Sometimes forgiveness almost seems unnatural, because our internal sense of fairness tells us that people should pay for their wrongs. And one of the hardest thing about practicing forgiveness in our daily lives is that it requires us to confront our feelings toward the closest people to us. It is difficult enough to forgive a stranger we might never see again, but it is so much more difficult to forgive a person we love and trust. So even when you think that you have “Blessed & Released”, and come to terms with what has happened, there are probably still some buried emotions about the event that you have pushed out of your mind that will come out again once something is triggered.
No matter what the circumstances are, and how challenging it can be as a ‘grown-up’, forgiveness really is a gift that you give to yourself. It allows you to return to a peaceful place within yourself. So what do you do when you find yourself struggling with all this? Decide today to do something about it. For example one thing you can try on your own is a forgiveness exercise. The below is adapted from the Stanford Forgiveness Project:
01. Get a paper and pen. Make a list of all the people you feel have wronged you in some way. Write each one down and why it was not not OK.
02. Acknowledge that those things did happen, and that they did hurt you.
03. Make a commitment to do what you need to do in order to feel better.
04. Recognize that your anger is coming from the thoughts that you have about what happened, and your thoughts are within your control.
05. When you start getting upset about those past experiences ask yourself, “What am I thankful for?”
06. Focus your energy into looking for ways to achieve happiness by letting the anger go, instead of using your energy on re-living the negative experiences over and over in your head. (We call this: Blessing & Releasing).
In the end the best advice we can give if you find yourself still having some diffuculty practcing forgiveness, is to please get in touch with us to learn more about our Forgiveness Clinics with Maya Badran. Every Thursday this month Maya is available to help guide you through all your emotions and help you navigate and master this tricky skill.
At The Hundred Wellness Centre, our mission is to empower others to live healthier, happier, more intentional lives. Lives where you are consciously choosing the kind of food you eat, who you surround yourself with, how you move your body, and even the things you do in your spare time.
On April 22nd we join people around the globe to celebrate ‘Earth Day‘, but truth be told.. in our little Hundred Wellness world, Earth Day is every single day! Every choice we make as a business and as a team is a conscious one, with the community’s health, and the wellness of the planet in mind.
To show you how easy it can be to do the same, we listed a few small things you can do to make every day ‘Earth Day’:
01. Use canvas or reusable bags – Get yourself some reusable bags and keep them in your car, and the next time you are in the grocery store, simply decline plastic bags from cashier. Scientists estimate that every square mile of ocean contains approximately 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in it. And believe it or not, you CAN make an impact on those numbers by making this small change to your grocery store visits, and encouraging your friends to do the same.
02. Clean your home with non-toxic household cleaners – Most people don’t think of their household cleaners as pollutants. Just because these products do their job by cleaning, it doesn’t mean they aren’t also harmful. So instead of using the toxic cleaners, you can purchase some non-toxic cleaners (we love Ecabiotic), or maybe even make your own alternative cleaners to keep your home safer… and squeaky clean!
03. Learn to love a plant-based diet- Research done by Oxford University shows that when it comes to climate change, following a plant-based diet could cut food-related emissions by 70%. Now we are not saying that you should give up meat completely, but doing your best to lower your intake of animal products is definitely a great start.
04. Buy organic foods and products – According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: “By opting for organic products, the consumer through his/her purchasing power promotes a less polluting agricultural system”. So when you go to the grocery store or farmer’s market, depending on what you purchase there, you are contributing to the type of agriculture system you want to support. So support a local organic system (like IGRUAE) that doesn’t use synthetic herbicides and pesticides, these chemicals are not only foreign to your body, but also harmful to the water, air and environment too!
These were just a few examples, but there are tons of ways we can make a positive impact for Earth day. If you need more ideas please do get in touch with us and our team will be happy to help!
And this year, as you go through Earth Day, (and the other 364 days of the year) remember to keep this quote in your mind –
“I don’t want to protect the environment. I want to create a world where the environment doesn’t need protecting.” – Unknown
A healthy lifestyle is a long term commitment, but staying focused and motivated over extended periods of time is not always easy. So now that you have taken the steps to make changes to start on your personal journey to wellness, how will you stay on track? What is your motivation?
First off to start, it’s important to know that motivation has a natural rhythm with it’s own highs and lows. So the key to staying motivated is kind of like fueling your car.. you don’t need the fuel tank to be full to actually drive you just need to make sure it doesn’t run empty. Here are a few ideas to think about that we think could help keep you going:
01. Find your motivator: What is your goal? Why do you want to get into great shape and/or make a lifestyle change? Know the exact reason you are making changes to your life to have a clear vision of what you want to accomplish in the end.
02. Accountability buddy: Enlist the support of at least one close friend that will be your accountability buddy. This will be the person that you depend on to help keep you in check, and support you to make sure you meet your commitments and goals.
03. Put it on paper: When you write something down it tends to feel more official. Write down your motivator for making these lifestyle changes, and post the note where you will see it. Each time you see your note take a moment to visualize yourself accomplishing your goal.
04. Chunk it up: With any goal it is important to set small, realistic, attainable goals. This way, you can check them off once you have achieved them. Not only will celebrating these small successes make you feel great, but small steps add up to big changes, and are less overwhelming than trying to do everything at once.
05. Be gentle with yourself: No one is perfect all of the time, so if you’re having a couple of off days (or weeks) – that’s SO okay! Just pick yourself back up and keep going even if you have to set additional small goals to get back to where you left off.
We hope these ideas help, and always remember that if you need assistance with developing goals, finding motivation, or just need someone to point you in the right direction by providing you with the knowledge and support to help you with your journey, visit our website here to see how our team can help!
Join us for a fun bonding opportunity for you and your child! Learn watercolor techniques, and have fun painting and experimenting with art materials to create original artwork together with your little one. Mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts and uncles are all welcome! All Ages! Join Hosanna Lee to learning the basics of painting in watercolors. Take inspiration from summer fruits & vegetables and apply these skills to draw and paint all kinds of wonderful works of art.
Hosanna Lee is an illustrator/watercolour painter who is currently based in Dubai. She graduated from the United Kingdom with a BA (Hons) in Landscape Architecture, and loves to illustrate food, recipes, plants, flowers. All of her illustrations are created by hand, using mostly ink and watercolors.
Where: The Hundred Wellness Centre
When: Saturday the 29th of April
Time: 10am -12:30pm
Fees: 350aed per Adult+Child duo
All materials will be provided.
Limited spots available, so email or call us on +9714 3447333 to book your spots
“Those who are wise won’t be busy, and those who are too busy can’t be wise.” ― Lin Yutang
We know that life can be busy. There is so much to do, with so little time. We totally get it! Many of us juggle a lot of balls at the same time – work, our health, caring for our families and the list goes on. All of this leaves us feeling that we are always ‘busy’.
How much do you love to have nice little to-do lists organized neatly on post-it notes, with tiny little tasks that can be efficiently checked off? By the end of the day, you feel so happy and in control. Let’s be honest, it seems that most of us like racing against time and being this busy, but at The Hundred Wellness Centre we are HUGE self-care advocates. We believe that caring for your mind, body, and soul is a priority in order to live healthy, happy and purposeful life. So how does one go about doing this when they are so busy and constantly feeling like they are fighting the clock?
Consider these tips to get you started:
01. Appreciate and schedule time for rest: One of the reasons many of us keep busy schedules is that we fail to recognize the value of rest. But rest is so beneficial to our bodies, minds, and souls. Set aside one day per week for some rest and familytime. Intentionally schedule it on your calendar, and then, guard it at all costs.
02. Cultivate ‘space’ in your daily routine. Take time for lunch. Find space in your morning to sit quietly before starting your day. Invest in solitude, meditation, or yoga. Find opportunity for breaks at work in between projects. Begin right away cultivating little moments of space in your otherwise busy day. Give yourself permission to start freeing up your schedule to give yourself space for your personal needs, and to just BE.
03. Realize that being busy is a choice. It is a decision we make. We are never forced into a lifestyle of busy-ness. The first, and most important step to becoming less busy is to simply realize that our schedules are determined by us. We do have a choice in the matter.
‘Busy’ does not need to define you― ‘UNbusy’ is possible. And it’s really okay to be happy with a slower paced life– so tell us, what is your current mindset around being ‘busy’? And what is one thing that you can do to try and make a positive shift this coming week?
The most challenging, but important part about getting fit is committing to it. The key is to create a fitness habit that becomes like a muscle—the more you work it and maintain it, the stronger it will get. So clearly if you join a class that is fun, and you start to see/feel the results it will be easier to stay consistent and committed! If this is what you are looking for, then we recommend you try out the latest addition to our class schedule: The Hundred Bodyweight Classes. These high energy sessions are a great choice when it comes to gaining strength, building muscle, and burning fat.. Still need to hear more? Here we have listed 4 great reasons as to why our bodyweight classes should be a key component of your workout regime:
01. There is something for everyone: Bodyweight classes are a great choice because they’re easily modified to challenge any fitness level. Adding extra repetitions, performing the exercises faster or super-slow, and perfecting form are a few ways to make even the simplest exercise more challenging. And progress is easy to measure, since bodyweight exercises offer endless ways to do a little more in each workout.
02. Super-efficient workouts: Since there’s no equipment involved, bodyweight workouts make it easy to transition quickly from one exercise to the next, and these shorter rest times mean it’s easy to quickly boost heart rate and burn some serious calories!
03. Injury prevention: Since injury is one of the main reasons why people fall off the exercise “bandwagon”, preventing those aches and pains is a big priority for our team at the centre. The Hundred Bodyweight classes are generally quite safe for anyone regardless of experience, age, or fitness level.
04. Let’s talk results: Bodyweight exercises get results partly because they involve compound movements -which means that you are engaging more than just one of your joints and muscles in each move/exercise. These types of exercises have been shown to be extremely effective for gaining strength and improving performance.
Now we do know that how you choose to workout is very personal, and there is no “best way” for everyone.. But our bodyweight classes are efficient, lots of fun and offer a ton of benefits that other forms of strength training cannot match, and the sessions are diverse, and never boring! So if you want to give it a try* (*this is highly recommended) check out the class schedule here and call us on +971 4 344 7333 in to book your first class!
Gym, pilates studio, cafe, art space – all these words have been used to describe our favourite spot in all of Dubai – The Hundred Wellness Centre. With so many wellness services on offer here, it was important that the space itself reflects The Hundred Wellness Centre lifestyle, and anyone that knows our founder Asma Lootah, knows that this centre brings together two of her passions – fitness and art. On the heels of Art Dubai last week we wanted to turn the spotlight on to our centre, and some of the curated design and art pieces you will see when you visit. The Hundred Wellness Centre is a hybrid concept born from the perfect union between the love for art & design, and a fully functional fitness center. Tucked inside a peaceful villa in the heart of Jumeirah, every little design and decor detail has been thought out, from the chairs in the waiting areas, to the coasters that you rest your teacup on.. The Hundred is definitely not your average fitness studio. The team here practice a holistic approach to wellness, which means they focus on how the three main areas of your life – body, mind and soul – are connected and how they can be optimized to improve your overall sense of well-being. The Hundred has been painstakingly curated to truly help our clients feel at home – and at peace, while celebrating amazing UAE local talents, and the mere fact that a person can get all of these services within a functional art-centric space is truly unique. Each and every piece of art at The Hundred Wellness Centre has a purpose and a story behind it‘s journey to finally finding its home here, and you can read more on the tales of some of the pieces that are dotted around the space by visiting our website, or the next time you visit just ask one of our team!
Do you feel like you have “tried everything” when it comes to losing weight and keeping it off? Are you frustrated by your lack of energy while you are trying to lose weight? And do you have a ton of questions when it comes to weight loss? Then we invite you to join us for a complimentary supportive group discussion led by our in-house nutrition and weight loss expert Ryan Penny from The Wellness Brothers, to have all your questions answered.
Anyone looking for support and solid answers in regards to diets, nutrition, weight loss and everything in between is invited to join! So if you are overwhelmed by all the nutrition advice you hear, and feel like you have tried everything and you still don’t fit into your “skinny” jeans, then this session is for you! Sign up to join us (and tell your friends too!) and see what our group weight loss support sessions can offer you.
When: Monday the 27th of March 2017 at 10:30am sharp.
Where: At The Hundred Wellness Centre Cafe.
Limited spots available, so email or call us on +9714 3447333 to book your space.
p.s. If you can’t make it but have lots of questions, call or email us to schedule a private weight-loss consultation with Ryan and get all the answers you have been looking for!
The Hundred Wellness Day – Saturday
March 11th, 9:00 am – 9:00 pm
Everyone is Invited!
For all the classes, workshops and talks advance booking is required by calling +9714 344 7333
– Organic produce market with IGR – indoors – (9:00 am – 4:00 pm)
– Pop-up Market – YApparel, Lorna Jane, Wallance and Co, Fitness Fuel, homemade Kombucha and Sauerkraut – Ongoing throughout the day
– Complimentary healthy Emirati Brunch ( gluten and sugar free) – On the garden terrace
10: 00 am – 12:00 pm
– Free Art Workshop for Children with Medaf, led by Alia Lootah
10:00 am – 11:30 am
– Free Indoor Pilates Mat Class (Ladies Only) with Janna Robertson
9:00 am – 10:00 am
– Free Hundred’s Body Weight Class with Valentina Cabreira – Outdoors
11:30 am –12:30 pm
– Free Ecabiotec talk with Lamis Harib – Indoors
11:30 am – 12:30 pm
– Free Pilates Class with Chelsea-Ann Ingledew
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
– Free Body Fat Analysis with Lulu Alarmali
12:00 pm –4:00 pm
– Free Super Circuit Class (Ladies Only) with Valentina Cabriera – Indoors
2:00 pm – 2:45 pm
– Free Forgiveness Clinic with Maya Badran – Indoors
4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
– Free Yoga Class with Charity Adams – Outdoors
5:15 pm – 6:15 pm
– Free Film Screening – Outdoors in the gardens
7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
For full details on all the activities click here. You can also drop us an email with any questions you may have. Don’t forget to tell all your friends and family, and follow the hashtag #thehundredwellnessYAY
We are dedicating Saturday, March 11th to all of you.. our community! We have carefully curated a fun-packed Wellness Day, and we are inviting everyone to join us at The Hundred Wellness Centre as we celebrate the start of Spring and devote an entire day to living our healthiest happiest life.
Given how important awareness is to our health and wellbeing, our mission on this day is to look at some of the different aspects of wellness in a fun and interactive way. From what we put in our bodies to how we feed our minds and spirits, each session and activity is designed to give you accessible and actionable steps to take back to your everyday life. We all want to live our healthiest, best life and our Wellness day will help you set that foundation. If you take a peek at what is on our calendar of health-focused workshops you will find:
– A children’s art class with Medaf that will be led by Alia Lootah (2 hours) – This exciting workshop will bring together the creative energy of nature into the little ones own canvases. Learn the basics of colour mixing, perspective and live drawing. We will look into the grass, trees and the sky for inspiration! Children from 5 to 13 can join in.
– An informative talk about creating a healthier environment at home with Lamis Harib – Lamis will introduce visitors to Ecabiotec products, and will discuss why Ecabiotec is set up in the Middle East, and the importance of the ‘Made In UAE’ value as a local company. She will also explore the difference and change it’s values will bring, as well as awareness on toxins in disinfectants from a health & environmental perspective, which is core to The Hundred Wellness as a mission as well. A selection of products will be available for purchase.
– A therapeutic ‘Forgiveness’ clinic with Maya Badran – This session will emphasize the importance of forgiveness as a preventative therapy and as an empowering tool to improve one’s mental and physical wellbeing, and how subconscious negative beliefs and negative repetitive emotions can cause illness in the body and how practicing forgiveness can eliminate the negative feelings so that a person can feel happier and healthier.
– An Asana Yoga session with Charity Adams – Charity’s Asana classes emphasize the connection with the breath and body in addition to proper alignment and acknowledgement of one’s own limitation. She believes in the beginning yoga can be a physical practice but with sincere commitment you can cultivate freedom within the body leading you to deeper meditative practices.
And tucked in among our complimentary Wellness Day workshops and talks there are plenty of other activities to participate in during the day depending on your interests – here are a few that might catch your eye:
– An indoor local, organic market with freshly harvested produce from our partners IGR (Integrated Green Resources UAE).
– A complimentary (sugar free – gluten free) healthy brunch, featuring local Emirati specialities, courtesy of The Hundred.
– Free outdoor and indoor fitness, Pilates and ladies only classes run by our highly skilled trainers will be running throughout the day, and everyone is welcome to join in.
– For those about to embark on a new plan to get fit or improve their health, there is an opportunity to have a free body-fat ratio analysis consultation with Lulu Alarmali, one of our in-house nutritional specialists. Lulu is offering body fat analysis consultations that would take 15-20 minutes, and afterwards she will give a brief explanation of what the individual’s body fat distribution indicates. If a meal plan or supplementation is required to target specific areas or for overall fat loss, an appointment to follow up can be booked. (Early bookings required and spots are limited so please email or call us on +9714 344 7333 to book.
– In collaboration with Loco’motion there will be an evening screening of the multi award-winning movie, “Happy” –– from Roko Belic, director of the Academy Award-nominated “Ghengis Blues” –– in The Hundred’s beautiful gardens. The uplifting movie explores the nature of happiness.
Additionally, there will be a range of pop-up shopping opportunities, ranging from homemade Kombucha and Sauerkraut made by our founder Asma Lootah, fitness apparel for yoga and active lifestyles from Yapparel and Lorne Jane, handcrafted locally-made candles with a touch of luxury by Wallance and Co, to natural nutrition and performance supplements from the FitnessFuel Company, and experts will be on hand to answer questions.
This is not just a party, it’s community, education, creativity and a way to bring together like-minded people to give back, and take action on important wellness issues! We look forward to welcoming you all, and making this a day to be remembered. You can find the schedule of activities and their timings here. If there is a certain activity that you don’t want to miss, drop us an email or call us on +9714 344 7333 and we will make sure to secure your spot!
p.s. To keep up with all the updates on our Wellness Day, follow the hashtag #thehundredwellnessYAY on Instagram!