Late Night – Midnight Snacking….can be hazardous to your waistline. Eat early, eat slow and eat when you aren’t stressed out. But if the late night munchies are calling out to you and you cannot ignore them, here are some great snacks to dive into:
1) Plain Popcorn (without the butter)- has just 31calories a cup. Make your own at home with store-bought kernels and avoid the calorie-dense microwave packed versions.
2) In-Shell Pistachios – Possibly due to the fact that by the time you’ve removed those delicious pistachios from their shell, you are ready to hit the sack and have consumed 41% fewer calories than if they were out of their shells already.
3) Frozen Grapes – They have a creamy texture making it the perfect treat when you’re on the hunt for something cold and sweet.
4) String Cheese – Not just for kids! Low fat string cheese pack protein to help satisfy those cravings and peeling them strip by strip mentally gives your mind a satisfied feeling. The Syrian String Cheese called “Jibneh mshallaleh” is an excellent replacement to the “Western” version if you enjoy it! Get it at your local carrefour or union co-op store.
5) Kiwi – These fuzzy fruits are the ultimate snooze snack as researched by Taiwanese scientists. Have one before bedtime and you might snooze 45 minutes faster with better sleep.
6) Baby Carrots – These bite-sized gems that pack a crunch and are sweet while being loaded with vitamin A to improve vision, immunity and bone health are the perfect treat. Sure, you can dip them in hummus too – just don’t go for a whole bowl as it’s close to midnight!
These tips were compiled from Pilates Style and The Hundred Wellness Center – www.thehundred.ae