Beryl Comar —A name that for many is synonymous with safe haven, and there are very few people in the UAE (and beyond) of whom have not heard her name before. Beryl has been helping clients overcome their fears and to achieve their goals for years now, and has been active in the hypnotherapy field since the early 1990s, building a reputation by helping hundreds of people work through their various issues and struggles. She is widely known for being the first person to introduce hypnotherapy, NLP, and EFT coaching and training into the Middle East and North Africa regions. Since 1999, she has conducted USA certified coaching and training sessions focused on these three core models, and in 2006, she was awarded the Gold Master Trainer status from the National Federation of Neuro Linguistic Programming. And in typical Hundred Wellness style we have been quietly working behind the scenes to facilitate something amazing for our community this month.. Whilst in UAE for the upcoming month, Beryl will be seeing clients at The Hundred Wellness Centre to conduct private sessions using a combination of counselling, coaching, hypnosis, NLP and EFT sessions for a variety of issues including: fears, phobias, stress, anxiety, relationships, communication, quit smoking, hypno-fertility, pain management, anger management, insomnia, grief, sadness amongst other things.
So if you find yourself feeling conflicted or troubled by something and you can’t seem to work through it on your own, Beryl is available to help you sort out things out a with a non-judgemental and compassionate approach. So what do you think? Ready for a session? Call us on +9714 344 7333 or email us to book your session today.
There is a time, a place (and an amount) that is actually ok for indulgences. This rule applies even more during the Holy month of Ramadan when the cravings for sweets are running wild! What we have found helps our clients is using the term “Conscious Indulgence” which helps them strike the perfect balance in finding a place for the occasional decadence, in their otherwise healthy diets.
This concept we find works well in Ramadan mainly because with fasting the cravings are intense, and we are trying to stick to a healthy eating plan but we also want to indulge. And the way that many of us manage that, is by eating sweets that are “ fat-free” so that we can eat without guilt, or fear of derailing our healthy diets. But this is exactly what you DON’T want to do! When it comes to your nutrition, trying to trick your mind by thinking “these gummy bears are ok because they are fat free” can derail you from your goals. So don’t eat sweets for the wrong reasons. You may think the handful of jelly beans is a better diet choice than the small piece of Kunafa because after all, they’re just sugar, but the Kunafa has fat, well here’s the truth… ALL the extra calories you eat will get turned into fat — whether from sugar, fat or protein.
And let’s be honest for a second.. Most likely when you are eating a dessert you aren’t eating it for it’s nutritional value, you are eating it for the taste and the pleasure of indulging. So choose the indulgence you actually want, not the one you think you should want, and then manage the portions. This way you can control the cravings better and stay on track.
This Ramadan, give yourself rules that work for you, and stick to them. Think back to past years and remember what has NOT worked for you when you’ve tried to lose or maintain weight while staying healthy during Ramadan, and write them down. Then, write down what you will do differently this time.
So maybe in the past you’ve allowed yourself as many sweets as you wanted after Iftar (You have been fasting all day after all so you deserve it right?) but somehow you ended up 2kg heavier by Eid. This year, maybe allow yourself 1 dessert every day, or every other day after iftar until Eid.. Whatever it may be, different people need different rules, so there’s no right or wrong, you just need to listen to your body and be honest with yourself about your habits, strengths, and challenges.
Probably the most important thing that we do emphasize is for you to eat your Ramadan sweets in an mindful manner. Do not rush or blindly eat desserts after you break fast. Sit down, and enjoy your sweets so that it is mindful, conscious and satisfying, rather than when you’re distracted (which can actually lead you to eat much more!).
We hope these tips help you to be more conscious with your indulgences this Ramadan! If you try these ideas let us know how they worked! And remember that if you need support or additional help with your diet and wellness, our team is always ready to help!
Ramadan is almost here and we want to help you approach your fast this year with mindfulness, discipline, and awareness. Perhaps it can even be an opportunity to focus on living a healthy and balanced lifestyle through a more mindful approach to eating, and to better prepare you for fasting, we have put together a few ways that can prepare your body for fasting. By planning and adjusting your routine before the fasting starts, it will be easier to kick any cravings, making the transition a whole lot easier.
Here are our tips:
Portion control — In these days before Ramadan, it’s important to reduce your portion sizes. Some may think splurging on food before fasting begins to sort of ‘stock up’, but this is exactly what not to do. The aim here is to reduce your appetite and hunger for larger quantities of food, ultimately helping your body transition to fasting in a healthy way.
Start eating your breakfast earlier — By getting your body use to eating breakfast earlier than usual, the transition won’t feel so strange for your metabolism. So start putting your alarm on a little earlier each morning, and even if you’re not hungry, eat. You want to trigger your stomach into understanding your new routine and when to expect food.
Don’t snack — If you are a hard-core lover of snacks (even those healthy ones!), then Ramadan can prove challenging. So just like with breakfast, you want to reset your stomach and mind now in the lead up to Ramadan, so try to stick to only three nutritious meals a day. This will help you lose the desire for these little goodies throughout the day, and your body will begin to not to expect them in your routine.
Step away from the coffee — Caffeine withdrawal, it’s a thing. And if you are a: ‘multiple cups of coffee’ kind of person, that headache will feel much worse while you’re fasting if you haven’t prepared your body in advance. If cutting down on your favourite cuppa seems impossible, then start small and work your way up. First, reduce your coffee intake to only one cup a day (somewhere mid-day not first thing in the morning), and maybe even switch to decaffeinated coffee. And ultimately, finish with cutting it out of your day all together.
Stock up on your groceries now — Prepare now while you are still hyped up and full of energy. Shop and stock up on nutritious foods that can be served at Suhoor or Iftar times so that you’re not so tempted by those hunger driven guilty pleasures later. Plan what foods are best to have for breakfast, find the recipes and stock up on the ingredients, this way you will leave less to temptation and you can make sure that cravings won’t hinder what your body actually needs while fasting.
If you feel that you need help or accountability throughout this Ramadan, and really want to make it your healthiest Ramadan EVER, get in touch with us via email us or call on +9714 344 7333 to see how we can help!
Ramadan shouldn’t be an excuse to abandon your fitness regimen. Whether you are a seasoned fitness enthusiast or have just recently started classes with us, fasting during Ramadan does not need to be the end of your exercise regimen until after Eid!
We want to help you prepare your body for Ramadan and keep your motivation up throughout the entire month! So we have tailor-made a month-long program of diverse group fitness classes ( you could say our own version of the mainstream “Bootcamps”), with the purpose of promoting the sustainable practice of physical activities during the month of Ramadan and beyond. This program is fun, accessible and fasting-friendly. Join us to prepare your body to stay active while fasting in a safe and supportive environment.
The program outline:
– BCA test (body composition analysis) at the beginning of the program to track progress
– ‘Strategic Eating’ A talk by Ryan Penny on how to consciously eat in Ramadan to maintain good health, high energy levels, and even lose weight.
– Eight Super Circuit classes (High Intensity & Fat burning)
– Four Body Weight classes (Moderate Intensity & Muscle sculpting)
– Four Pilates classes (Stretch & Recovery)
– BCA test (body composition analysis) at the end of the program to track progress
– 20% discount on fresh cold-pressed juices.
The all inclusive cost of the Ramadan Package is: 1500AED
The classes mentioned above will be conducted in different times than current Hundred Wellness existing classes.
Classes will be exclusively LADIES ONLY. The program will start on May 8th and run through until June 8th, with the classes being offered on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 4:30pm.
All classes support a maximum of 8 people. Classes must be booked at least 4 hours in advance.
To learn more or to book your spot, email or call us on +9714 344 7333
Forgiveness – for·give·ness /ˌfərˈɡivnəs/ the act of no longer feeling anger or resentment towards someone (or yourself).
While we all know the concept of forgiveness, but it can be extremely difficult to really understand it, never mind put it into practice. There are so many layers to it, and many times we make an effort to forgive someone, but then as soon as one bad memory comes up, the anger, hurt and resentment all come racing back, throwing forgiveness right out of the window.
Wasn’t life so much simpler as a child? One ‘sorry’ held the key to fixing everything that was wrong in our world. But we are adults now and that isn’t how it works. However, before you are too hard on yourself, did you know that forgiveness is actually a learned skill? We are not born into the world knowing how to do it automatically, it takes time for all of those negative feelings to process, and that is OK!
Sometimes forgiveness almost seems unnatural, because our internal sense of fairness tells us that people should pay for their wrongs. And one of the hardest thing about practicing forgiveness in our daily lives is that it requires us to confront our feelings toward the closest people to us. It is difficult enough to forgive a stranger we might never see again, but it is so much more difficult to forgive a person we love and trust. So even when you think that you have “Blessed & Released”, and come to terms with what has happened, there are probably still some buried emotions about the event that you have pushed out of your mind that will come out again once something is triggered.
No matter what the circumstances are, and how challenging it can be as a ‘grown-up’, forgiveness really is a gift that you give to yourself. It allows you to return to a peaceful place within yourself. So what do you do when you find yourself struggling with all this? Decide today to do something about it. For example one thing you can try on your own is a forgiveness exercise. The below is adapted from the Stanford Forgiveness Project:
01. Get a paper and pen. Make a list of all the people you feel have wronged you in some way. Write each one down and why it was not not OK.
02. Acknowledge that those things did happen, and that they did hurt you.
03. Make a commitment to do what you need to do in order to feel better.
04. Recognize that your anger is coming from the thoughts that you have about what happened, and your thoughts are within your control.
05. When you start getting upset about those past experiences ask yourself, “What am I thankful for?”
06. Focus your energy into looking for ways to achieve happiness by letting the anger go, instead of using your energy on re-living the negative experiences over and over in your head. (We call this: Blessing & Releasing).
In the end the best advice we can give if you find yourself still having some diffuculty practcing forgiveness, is to please get in touch with us to learn more about our Forgiveness Clinics with Maya Badran. Every Thursday this month Maya is available to help guide you through all your emotions and help you navigate and master this tricky skill.
At The Hundred Wellness Centre, our mission is to empower others to live healthier, happier, more intentional lives. Lives where you are consciously choosing the kind of food you eat, who you surround yourself with, how you move your body, and even the things you do in your spare time.
On April 22nd we join people around the globe to celebrate ‘Earth Day‘, but truth be told.. in our little Hundred Wellness world, Earth Day is every single day! Every choice we make as a business and as a team is a conscious one, with the community’s health, and the wellness of the planet in mind.
To show you how easy it can be to do the same, we listed a few small things you can do to make every day ‘Earth Day’:
01. Use canvas or reusable bags – Get yourself some reusable bags and keep them in your car, and the next time you are in the grocery store, simply decline plastic bags from cashier. Scientists estimate that every square mile of ocean contains approximately 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in it. And believe it or not, you CAN make an impact on those numbers by making this small change to your grocery store visits, and encouraging your friends to do the same.
02. Clean your home with non-toxic household cleaners – Most people don’t think of their household cleaners as pollutants. Just because these products do their job by cleaning, it doesn’t mean they aren’t also harmful. So instead of using the toxic cleaners, you can purchase some non-toxic cleaners (we love Ecabiotic), or maybe even make your own alternative cleaners to keep your home safer… and squeaky clean!
03. Learn to love a plant-based diet- Research done by Oxford University shows that when it comes to climate change, following a plant-based diet could cut food-related emissions by 70%. Now we are not saying that you should give up meat completely, but doing your best to lower your intake of animal products is definitely a great start.
04. Buy organic foods and products – According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: “By opting for organic products, the consumer through his/her purchasing power promotes a less polluting agricultural system”. So when you go to the grocery store or farmer’s market, depending on what you purchase there, you are contributing to the type of agriculture system you want to support. So support a local organic system (like IGRUAE) that doesn’t use synthetic herbicides and pesticides, these chemicals are not only foreign to your body, but also harmful to the water, air and environment too!
These were just a few examples, but there are tons of ways we can make a positive impact for Earth day. If you need more ideas please do get in touch with us and our team will be happy to help!
And this year, as you go through Earth Day, (and the other 364 days of the year) remember to keep this quote in your mind –
“I don’t want to protect the environment. I want to create a world where the environment doesn’t need protecting.” – Unknown
A healthy lifestyle is a long term commitment, but staying focused and motivated over extended periods of time is not always easy. So now that you have taken the steps to make changes to start on your personal journey to wellness, how will you stay on track? What is your motivation?
First off to start, it’s important to know that motivation has a natural rhythm with it’s own highs and lows. So the key to staying motivated is kind of like fueling your car.. you don’t need the fuel tank to be full to actually drive you just need to make sure it doesn’t run empty. Here are a few ideas to think about that we think could help keep you going:
01. Find your motivator: What is your goal? Why do you want to get into great shape and/or make a lifestyle change? Know the exact reason you are making changes to your life to have a clear vision of what you want to accomplish in the end.
02. Accountability buddy: Enlist the support of at least one close friend that will be your accountability buddy. This will be the person that you depend on to help keep you in check, and support you to make sure you meet your commitments and goals.
03. Put it on paper: When you write something down it tends to feel more official. Write down your motivator for making these lifestyle changes, and post the note where you will see it. Each time you see your note take a moment to visualize yourself accomplishing your goal.
04. Chunk it up: With any goal it is important to set small, realistic, attainable goals. This way, you can check them off once you have achieved them. Not only will celebrating these small successes make you feel great, but small steps add up to big changes, and are less overwhelming than trying to do everything at once.
05. Be gentle with yourself: No one is perfect all of the time, so if you’re having a couple of off days (or weeks) – that’s SO okay! Just pick yourself back up and keep going even if you have to set additional small goals to get back to where you left off.
We hope these ideas help, and always remember that if you need assistance with developing goals, finding motivation, or just need someone to point you in the right direction by providing you with the knowledge and support to help you with your journey, visit our website here to see how our team can help!
“Those who are wise won’t be busy, and those who are too busy can’t be wise.” ― Lin Yutang
We know that life can be busy. There is so much to do, with so little time. We totally get it! Many of us juggle a lot of balls at the same time – work, our health, caring for our families and the list goes on. All of this leaves us feeling that we are always ‘busy’.
How much do you love to have nice little to-do lists organized neatly on post-it notes, with tiny little tasks that can be efficiently checked off? By the end of the day, you feel so happy and in control. Let’s be honest, it seems that most of us like racing against time and being this busy, but at The Hundred Wellness Centre we are HUGE self-care advocates. We believe that caring for your mind, body, and soul is a priority in order to live healthy, happy and purposeful life. So how does one go about doing this when they are so busy and constantly feeling like they are fighting the clock?
Consider these tips to get you started:
01. Appreciate and schedule time for rest: One of the reasons many of us keep busy schedules is that we fail to recognize the value of rest. But rest is so beneficial to our bodies, minds, and souls. Set aside one day per week for some rest and familytime. Intentionally schedule it on your calendar, and then, guard it at all costs.
02. Cultivate ‘space’ in your daily routine. Take time for lunch. Find space in your morning to sit quietly before starting your day. Invest in solitude, meditation, or yoga. Find opportunity for breaks at work in between projects. Begin right away cultivating little moments of space in your otherwise busy day. Give yourself permission to start freeing up your schedule to give yourself space for your personal needs, and to just BE.
03. Realize that being busy is a choice. It is a decision we make. We are never forced into a lifestyle of busy-ness. The first, and most important step to becoming less busy is to simply realize that our schedules are determined by us. We do have a choice in the matter.
‘Busy’ does not need to define you― ‘UNbusy’ is possible. And it’s really okay to be happy with a slower paced life– so tell us, what is your current mindset around being ‘busy’? And what is one thing that you can do to try and make a positive shift this coming week?
The most challenging, but important part about getting fit is committing to it. The key is to create a fitness habit that becomes like a muscle—the more you work it and maintain it, the stronger it will get. So clearly if you join a class that is fun, and you start to see/feel the results it will be easier to stay consistent and committed! If this is what you are looking for, then we recommend you try out the latest addition to our class schedule: The Hundred Bodyweight Classes. These high energy sessions are a great choice when it comes to gaining strength, building muscle, and burning fat.. Still need to hear more? Here we have listed 4 great reasons as to why our bodyweight classes should be a key component of your workout regime:
01. There is something for everyone: Bodyweight classes are a great choice because they’re easily modified to challenge any fitness level. Adding extra repetitions, performing the exercises faster or super-slow, and perfecting form are a few ways to make even the simplest exercise more challenging. And progress is easy to measure, since bodyweight exercises offer endless ways to do a little more in each workout.
02. Super-efficient workouts: Since there’s no equipment involved, bodyweight workouts make it easy to transition quickly from one exercise to the next, and these shorter rest times mean it’s easy to quickly boost heart rate and burn some serious calories!
03. Injury prevention: Since injury is one of the main reasons why people fall off the exercise “bandwagon”, preventing those aches and pains is a big priority for our team at the centre. The Hundred Bodyweight classes are generally quite safe for anyone regardless of experience, age, or fitness level.
04. Let’s talk results: Bodyweight exercises get results partly because they involve compound movements -which means that you are engaging more than just one of your joints and muscles in each move/exercise. These types of exercises have been shown to be extremely effective for gaining strength and improving performance.
Now we do know that how you choose to workout is very personal, and there is no “best way” for everyone.. But our bodyweight classes are efficient, lots of fun and offer a ton of benefits that other forms of strength training cannot match, and the sessions are diverse, and never boring! So if you want to give it a try* (*this is highly recommended) check out the class schedule here and call us on +971 4 344 7333 in to book your first class!
Gym, pilates studio, cafe, art space – all these words have been used to describe our favourite spot in all of Dubai – The Hundred Wellness Centre. With so many wellness services on offer here, it was important that the space itself reflects The Hundred Wellness Centre lifestyle, and anyone that knows our founder Asma Lootah, knows that this centre brings together two of her passions – fitness and art. On the heels of Art Dubai last week we wanted to turn the spotlight on to our centre, and some of the curated design and art pieces you will see when you visit. The Hundred Wellness Centre is a hybrid concept born from the perfect union between the love for art & design, and a fully functional fitness center. Tucked inside a peaceful villa in the heart of Jumeirah, every little design and decor detail has been thought out, from the chairs in the waiting areas, to the coasters that you rest your teacup on.. The Hundred is definitely not your average fitness studio. The team here practice a holistic approach to wellness, which means they focus on how the three main areas of your life – body, mind and soul – are connected and how they can be optimized to improve your overall sense of well-being. The Hundred has been painstakingly curated to truly help our clients feel at home – and at peace, while celebrating amazing UAE local talents, and the mere fact that a person can get all of these services within a functional art-centric space is truly unique. Each and every piece of art at The Hundred Wellness Centre has a purpose and a story behind it‘s journey to finally finding its home here, and you can read more on the tales of some of the pieces that are dotted around the space by visiting our website, or the next time you visit just ask one of our team!