Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Holiday Cheer!
The festive season can serve up a bellyful of digestive distress for those who suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Indulging in tasty treats and delicious beverages during the joyous season can leave many sufferers with unpleasant symptoms such as cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, constipation and diarrhea. Flare-ups are common from triggers such as sugar-laden rich foods, wheat, and of course holiday stress.
Social gatherings may bring a sense of dread especially if symptoms are unpredictable. However, following these tips can keep your IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) in check so that you can enjoy the merriment of the season and tackle the digestive issues gracefully!
Tips for Digestive Comfort:
- Eat strategically by eating smaller meals throughout the day and especially before a function. It may be tempting to reach for carb-heavy treats and go overboard but it’s important to remember that a sensitive digestive system will react to certain foods. Knowing which foods trigger symptoms will alleviate digestive discomfort. Common culprits are usually wheat, dairy, sugar and other processed foods. A very helpful assessment offered at The Hundred Wellness Centre is the Food Intolerance Test which can identify less-suspicious culprits that may be causing inflammation and bowel distress.
- Address Stress levels which can rise during the exciting and hectic season by planning ahead and organizing moments to relax. Practicing deep breathing goes a long way to calm the nervous system which in turn calms digestion. Making time for a long warm bath or meditation also lowers stress as does massage with aromatherapy.
- Sleep well as it is essential for a healthy, happy digestion and recovery is vital after along busy day. Improve sleep hygiene by drinking a soothing herbal tea such as chamomile which also soothes tummy troubles.
- Hydrate with good quality filtered water to keep the bowels from being sluggish especially when eating more fiber-rich foods, which maintain gastrointestinal muscle tone and flush out toxins. It is best to drink water 20 or 30 minutes before meals rather than during meals which tends to dilute digestive enzymes.
- Seek professional help from your Naturopathic Doctor or other holistic health practitioners who can recommend effective natural remedies such as high-quality probiotics, soothing botanicals, liver support supplements, vitamin D and even acupuncture to alleviate the digestive dysfunction and ease discomfort.
Our digestive systems are closely linked to our sense of wellness and happiness. Paying closer attention and taking steps to address the disturbances enhances vitality and minimizes stress.
Efficient movement of food through the digestive tract is vital to good health and comfort. The Hundred Wellness Centre offers a detailed Food Intolerance Test in Dubai to detect tolerance levels and identify troubles in digesting certain foods, thus encouraging a healthy diet as a part of first hand IBS treatment.
You may think it’s impossible to travel if you suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), but have no fear, just follow the above tips for an enjoyable holiday in Dubai or give us a call on +9714 344 7333 to learn more!