roasted bell peppers stuffed with quinoa & tangy feta cheese
Quinoa is an impressive plant-based complete protein such as, soybeans, amaranth, buckwheat, spirulina, and hemp & chia seeds. Quinoa is packed with many vitamins and minerals including: Heart-healthy monounsaturated fat (oleic acid), and omega-3 fatty acid (a-linolenic acid), Antioxidant phytonutrients called flavonoids, Essential minerals including manganese, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, zinc, copper, selenium, Vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, E, and Soluble and insoluble fiber. Phew! Stuffed into bell peppers for a power dose of Vitamin-C, and you might already have had your multi-vitamin pill placed on one very colorful, filling and healthy tasty dish! We hope you enjoy this addictive recipe that can last in your fridge for 4 days meaning, your meals are pre-prepared for you healthily and tastes better by the day. Enjoy!
Roasted Bell Peppers stuffed with quinoa, feta & zucchini
1 cup dry quinoa
6 bell peppers (I used 2 large and 5 medium sized peppers. Aim for red bell pepper for a high dose of Vitamin-C)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 of a large onion, chopped
2 medium zucchini chopped
3 tablespoons thick tomato paste
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
150grams of low fat crumbled feta cheese (more or less to your heart’s desire!)
seasonings: salt, pepper, oregano, basil, rosemary sprinkles…
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Cook 1 cup of dry quinoa according to your packet directions. Then set aside.
2. Halve the bell peppers and take out the seeds and membrane. Line a baking sheet over a tray and place the pepper halves facing up on the sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the peppers start to soften slightly. Take the peppers out of the oven and let them sit while you prepare the following filling….
3. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and zucchini. Cook for about 5-8 minutes until the veggies start to soften slightly. Add some seasonings (salt, pepper, herbs) to taste.
4. Turn off the heat and add the tomatoes and tomato paste to the veggie mixture. Add your cooked quinoa to the mix then toss in the feta cheese.
5. Fill the pepper halves with heaping amounts of the quinoa mixture. Bake the filled peppers for another 15/20 minutes until the tops turn nice and golden brown. Serve with cold green salad. Enjoy!!
Bought to you by The Hundred Pilates Studio in Dubai. Web: http://www.thehundred.ae