dubai pilates : stepping away from the corporate desk and into a pilates routine
Anyone with a job that requires hours of sitting and tapping on a keyboard knows the toll on back and shoulder muscles. Sedentary desk jobs can cause back pains, muscle aches, and joint problems. There is an increasing number of work-related illnesses because people ignore these symptoms and fail to remedy it. Aside from physical illness, working in an office can also cause stress. Office pressures such as a looming deadline or a demanding boss are damaging to the mental health. A good way to help the body fight and cope against these ills is by practicing Pilates.
Studies show that prolonged sitting can disrupt metabolic functions resulting to increased cholesterol levels. That is why people living a sedentary lifestyle are at risk of heart-related problem. Bad and rigid posture can also hurt the muscles and bones around the back and neck. Here are a few of the health problems that office workers often suffer from.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – People often suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome because of too much repetitive action of their hands that can cause damage to the nerves, muscles, ligaments, and bones in the wrist.
- Lower Back Pain – Prolonged sitting can injure the spinal column and lower back muscles. It is the usual reason for absences by older employees. Aside from prolonged sitting, bad posture can also cause backaches.
- Joint Pain – Being stationary for a long time will decrease the efficiency of the joints. A particular joint, the hip flexors, will experience tightening and shortening if they remain static for too long. This will create stress and pain on the lower region of the body.
- Stress – Work-related anxiety is recognized as a medical condition that can have long term consequences. It can lead to debilitating illnesses such as stroke, fatigue, and restlessness. Common factors that result to stress, are deadline, workload, management, colleagues, and even the physical environment.
The Solution: Pilates
The most practical solution for this problem is to allot a time for exercise or an active recreational activity to give the body the necessary strengthening that it needs. Pilates is a popular form of exercise that can help in strengthening stabilizing muscle cores. These muscle cores are responsible for providing the correct alignment of the spine. It is a form of physical therapy that stretches and strengthens major muscle groups while promoting good body balance. Here are some of the significant benefits of Pilates.
- Increases Flexibility – Pilates enhances spinal flexibility. The spine should be able to curve and twist smoothly. There are Pilates’ moves that rehabilitate and increase spinal movement.
- Strengthens Core – One of the main targets of Pilates is to increase abdominal and torso strength. It trains the body so that the core muscle groups will coordinate efficiently.
- Decreases Stress – Stress is a chemical imbalance that is often characterized by fatigue. Through Pilates, the body would be able to take more pressure and be more resilient against external influences.
- Promotes Correct Body Posture – Pilates help in increasing awareness towards body posture. The exercise teaches correct body posture for sitting, walking, and standing.
Article source: http://www.pilatestreemagazine.com/pilates-good-exercise-every-desk-employee/
Sign up to healthy Pilates classes (privates and small group classes) with us, at The Hundred Pilates Studio in Dubai by visiting : http://www.thehundred.ae