the infamous “pilates powerhouse” term – what does it really mean?
You have probably heard it several times now – the Pilates Powerhouse – and might still be intrigued to find out what it REALLY means and why the emphasis on “powerhouse” so much? The Pilates method is a comprehensive body-conditioning method that is directed toward the development of both the body and the mind of the individual. Toward this end, the Pilates method incorporates six key principles: centering, concentration, control, precision, breath, and flow. The principle of centering refers to the concept that all movements of the human body emanate from the center or core or what Joseph Pilates called the powerhouse of the body. The Pilates method endeavors to strengthen the powerhouse as one of its primary goals. In effect, strengthening the powerhouse is core-stabilization.
Effects of working the powerhouse:
The Pilates method of body conditioning may be generalized to have three major effects upon the powerhouse.
1) Pilates affects the posture of the pelvis, which results in postural changes to the lumbar spine.
2) Second, it works directly upon the musculoskeletal structure of the spine (the lumbar spine in particular) by strengthening, stretching, and lengthening the spine.
3) Pilates affects the structural integrity or tone of the abdominal-pelvic cavity as a whole.
The Pilates Powerhouse never stops, whether you’re riding a bike, hiking the trails or even on vacation. Here are some tips for keeping it even more active while enjoying your favorite activities:
- Cycling: Find that deep Pilates curl and resist the urge to unfurl your abs. Keep them tucked in as you draft behind the dude in front of you, then pass him because you’ve efficiently used your energy from the inside out!
- Running: When you’re going the distance, it’s easy to think about your tired legs or labored breathing. So, flip the switch—when you’re chasing down that last mile, engage your abs to make your legs feel lighter and your breath more powerful, and you’ll cross the finish line in no time.
- Swimming: Feel like you’re sinking? Think about tightening a virtual belt around your waistline as you complete your laps. When you fully engage your Powerhouse, your strokes will become streamlined and your laps will be a breeze.We are always delighted to welcome you to our studio – The Hundred Pilates Studio in Dubai – to try out our diverse range of classes from Mat to Reformer, Cadillac to Pole. Our expert instructors will skillfully take you through several classical pilates exercises designed to strengthen your powerhouse muscles whether you are a beginner or a regular Pilates student looking to improve your posture or cross-train with your current exercise regime.
For more details on our class timetable and how to book in with us, visit our website: http://www.thehundred.ae