baked eggs in thick tomato sauce with basil & feta cheese
A staple in Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Libya….this Middle Eastern delicious dish is a very simple to create and is a refreshing change to your usual scrambled – benedict – omelet….you name it. The egg is poached in a bed of thick rich tomato sauce and baked in the oven with tangy feta cheese and basil leaves. Your house will smell heavenly, your tastebuds will thank you for a healthy omega-3 breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner. Yes, it is very versatile and addictive!
- 1 egg
- 6 generous tablespoon of your favorite tomato sauce(s) – I mixed 2 kinds together. One with sweet diced pepper and another with basil & spicy herbs.
- Optional: Chopped olives.
- 1 Tablespoon low fat feta cheese
- Fresh ground pepper and salt
- Fresh basil leaves for garnishing at the end
- Pour the tomato sauce into your ramekin as the base with the olives.
- Crumble your feta cheese over the sauce.
- Crack an egg carefully into each ramekin.
- Sprinkle lightly with the feta cheese, ground pepper and salt.
- Bake at 350 for 5 – 7 minutes or until the white is set but the yolk is still soft and runny. (If you don’t like runny yolk, bake it a few minutes longer till the yolk is set.)
- Once ready, sprinkle fresh basil on the top.
- Serve with warm toast to sop up the runny yolk!