With each new year, comes new health and wellness trends. In 2017 as we became more focused on sustainability, gut health and better nutrition, and it set 2018 up to see a flood of new health products that better support our general health and wellbeing. To give you a heads up on what wellness trends we expect to be huge hits in 2018, we compiled a list of a few:
01. DNA testing for optimal fitness performance—DNA testing has become more popular than ever over the past year. The promise of genetic testing is that it can tell you more about the way you’re built, so that you can tailor your lifestyle to fit your biology — and ultimately change up your fitness routine to get the best results.
02. Gut Health—Fermenting – Have you been noticing more kombucha, kimchi and sauerkraut around these days? That’s due to the role of bacteria in gut health, which is linked to everything from Alzheimer’s, immunity, and obesity. A Google Trends analysis (June 2017) showed ‘gut health’ as one of the most growing search terms when it comes to managing health through food.
03. Mindfulness trackers—Move over fitness trackers, because 2018 is all about the mind trackers. We’ve already seen apps such as Headspace and Buddhify, but now mindfulness trackers are being developed to help monitor our breathing patterns with a view to working out exactly when and what causes you stress. It’s thought that these devices will also pay attention to the way in which we sleep, recording different levels of sleep and again relating it to how stressed we may be feeling.
04. Digital detox—Digital detoxes are also becoming more and more necessary in our constantly switched on society. (We have been promoting this trend all year long!) As much as we try we just can’t ignore the pings of status updates, WhatsApp messages and Insta-stories. We predict that the phrase ‘disconnect to reconnect’ is going to be massive in 2018, as more and more of us start to notice the impact that social media has on our health.
05. Cooking—While it may seem silly to include this in our list, but can you believe that a large percentage of the world’s population still doesn’t engage in cooking daily sometimes not even weekly? Cooking from home doesn’t just ensure the quality of your food, and your ability to control what ingredients are actually used, but it also can be super relaxing!
06. Plant based diets— It’s not just about fancy superfood salads anymore, it’s actually creating delicious, sustainable, and healthy menus surrounding plant-based food. We have started to see restaurants pop up with with whole food menus, and our fingers are crossed that this trend will stick and grow bigger into 2018.
07. Ditch the fad detoxes—This is one trend that we wish had been gone a long time ago, so we’re predicting that these harsh detoxes will die down, and be replaced with whole food resets/ lifestyle programs, that use more evidence-based science which shows that whole foods and compounds support our body at what it already does best- detox every minute of the day. *Spoiler alert: Stay tuned for more on this from us early 2018!!
So, tell us, what are the trends you’re predicting for 2017? What about trends you wish would go away!?
Preparations are in full swing for the new year, and everyone’s getting ready to turn the page and close the last chapter of 2017. So, as a gentle reminder to keep us all moving in the right direction we at The Hundred Wellness Centre decided to put together a few thoughts on how to keep up the great work!
Reminder 01- Little steps do add up. While we haven’t necessarily made perfect progress on all of our goals this year, we have made little-by-little progress. And embracing this imperfect progress will help you to not completely give up when things don’t go as planned (and we all know that happens quite a bit). Remember, that in the right direction, small steps forward (even with a few steps back) are adding up.
Reminder 02- It’s okay to grow slow. In fact, the best thing ever IS to grow slow and steady. Think about it: do you plant a seed and expect to get an all full-grown tree by the next morning (even though we might wish for this secretly sometimes right?) We often crave overnight results but that often leaves us with roots that are not deep enough to sustain our growth. All good things grow slowly— love, babies, flowers, big dreams/goals and meaningful relationships.
Reminder 03- Changes can be hard, but as challenging as they are sometimes… they might actually be good for you! So, open your heart and mind to the possibilities.
Reminder 04- Finally…. You know all those things you’ve always wanted to do? You really should go do them.